Friday, June 7, 2013

Have I Told You Lately - Guest Designer Holly Craft

I am Holly Craft, guest designer for June. I have loved Spellbinders products since being on their original Design Team beginning in 2004 (and subsequently in 2008) and have loved Quietfire images since I discovered them over five years ago. I have always felt that a beautiful classic look can be attained with products from each of these companies and that they complement each other so well.  
 


For today's project, a "Love" framed piece, I used Quietfire Valentine's Day/Love 2013 set. I chose three of the eight stamps included in this set. Don't let the "Valentine's Day" in the name of the set scare you....these stamps are so versatile and will work the other eleven months
of the year after February!



I also used Spellbinders M-Bossabilities, 3D Ornamental Swirls.  I love all of the Spellbinders embossing folders, but the new 3D folders give so much dimension you will be amazed! I also love the fact that the folder is 5 by 7 inches as I like to make larger cards and that size is also perfect for framing. If you want to stick to smaller cards, you can use a portion of the design on the embossing folder and make it fit your needs.



I cut a 5 by 7 inch piece of watercolor paper (140#, cold press) to create the embossed background for my stamped image. For correct placement, I used a stamp positioner to get the verse where I wanted it when stamping with black Versafine ink, placing the embossed paper over the folder so the stamped area will be supported from behind. To accent the deep dimension on the embossed watercolor paper, I highlighted with gold. You can use a gold ink with a small sponge or one of the many cremes available that can be applied with your finger. I have also handpainted the designs on these embossed pieces with watercolor paint or a shimmering paint. I heat embossed the verse after applying clear embossing powder, but then also brought some of the gold gently over the stamped image.


I wanted to carry the design out to the mat board, so I chose the two hearts, making masks for them so I could layer the stamped hearts over each other while preserving a nice, neat look. There are papers specifically made for masking or you can use a repositionable paper like the top edge of a
note.



I left the glass out of the frame for photos, but you can choose to use it or not. It could hang on the wall or be placed on an easel on a table top. I added a few rhinestones as accents on the ornamental swirls. I think those swirls work so well with the swirled calligraphy in the stamps. This piece could have so many uses. I can see it working great as a wedding gift for a bride and groom, a gift for a golden anniversary or even a present you give to your spouse for an anniversary or just because! Those are all events I have coming up in the next month!
 
I hope you have enjoyed this project. I love using stamps for things other than just cards! Plus, you see that you can use Spellbinders products and not make the first die cut! Thanks for allowing me to share!


5 comments:

Kathy Eddy said...

This is just beautiful! So elegant.

Joy H said...

What a beautiful gift this would make. I love the gold accents and the masking. Thank you for sharing Holly!

Francie in Montreal said...

This project is simply lovely - it just knocks my socks off.

Yogi said...

what a lovely project and such a good idea to run the metallic over the lettering. Never thought of doing that.

Have a great day

Holly said...

So stunning! What a beautiful gift and all the gold layering- fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...