Monday, March 3, 2014

THANK YOU - WATERCOLOUR CRAYONS CARD

Hi Everyone! Holly here, and today I'm sharing watercolor crayons with you.
They are a lot of fun to use, and can be found HERE.

This card uses watercolor crayons, three ways. Let's get started!

The narrow center strip:
Lightly spray the cardstock with water.
Scribble the crayon onto an acrylic block, add a little spritz of water.....
Then drag the block across the cardstock. Apply more colour this way, adjusting the amount of water, using less and less. Let the cardstock dry. I use my heat tool to speed this up.

I selected the small butterfly from the BUTTERFLIES/DRAGONFLIES stamp set.
Peel back the paper from the crayon, dip it in water and colour directly onto the stamp. It will be very juicy, and it should be for our base layer butterflies.

The yellow flourish was done the same way, using the large stamp from the FLOURISHES 1 
stamp set. It was done before the butterflies. Let it dry. You'll notice that this method creates speckles and spatters all around- very painterly!

JET BLACK ARCHIVAL INK was used to stamp the butterflies over the blue watercolor butterflies, and the THANK YOU.

If you click on the photo, you'll see the spatter I added to the card base, after stamping three butterflies with blue WC crayon, and letting them dry.
To spatter, scribble on the acrylic block, as before, then pick up the colour with a very wet bristle brush. Drag the brush across your finger or another brush handle, to create the spatters.
Once the cardstock was dry, the 'thank you' piece was adhered to a blue mat, which was adhered to the card base. A blue gel pen was used to draw a double squiggly line around the center panel.

There you have it, three of the many ways to use the crayons. A lot of colourful fun to be had with these. I also like that they're a compact way to take colouring tools with me- art to go! I use a
WATER BRUSH for basic painting with the crayons.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial today, and feel inspired to give watercolor crayons a try.
Thanks for stopping by!

  
http://www.allfreepapercrafts.com/

8 comments:

I'm a Little Teapot said...

What a fabulous card! Thanks for showing how to use the watercolor Crayons!

Heather said...

very beautiful! what a great technique.

Jutta said...

Awesome card, love those butterflies!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this technique. I have the watercolor crayons but haven't used them yet. Now I will have to try this.

wendy said...

Great instructions for some techniques that I haven't tried.

Yogi said...

lovely. Don't do enough watercolor stamping... Have a great day

Carmen said...

This is beautiful. I have never tried this technique before. May have to.

Charity Morris-Chamberlain said...

This is such a cool technique!! I have not seen watercolor crayons before, only pencils paints etc. Thanks for sharing I'm going to have to get some of these give it a try :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...